Find Provider Providers Find Locations Locations Care Services Services Patients Patients
Case Management

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I contact your department for help?

You can contact the case management department Monday- Sunday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Ask your doctor or nurse to contact the case manager or call us directly at extension 6153 from your hospital phone.

Are your services free?

There is no charge for case management services. Our services are included as part of your hospital stay.

How do I know what kind of care insurance will cover?

Case Managers do not quote benefits. We will assist you in calling your insurance. Most insurance only covers skilled care. These are services provided by a licensed professional, such as wound care, intravenous therapy, and physical, occupational, or speech therapy. Home care also requires the individual to be homebound, meaning unable to get out of the home to receive the needed services.

Why do I need a referral?

Your physician may feel that you require continued care after discharge from the hospital. Our office makes referrals to community agencies and facilities to assist with your care. Referrals are made to community resources, including:

  • Home health
  • Home infusion companies
  • Skilled nursing facilities
  • Personal care/assisted living facilities
  • Rehabilitation hospitals

Can you refer me to free services?

Below is a sample of the many free services are available in our community.

  • Centre Helps
  • Out of the Cold
  • Centre County Crisis
  • Centre County MHID
  • Centre County Medical Assistance Office
  • PACEnet
  • Centre County Office of Adult Services (for people under age 60)
  • Centre County Office of Aging (for people over age 60)
  • Centre Volunteers in Medicine
  • Children and Youth Services
  • Community Action Partnership
  • Housing Transitions
  • The Salvation Army
  • Women’s Resource Center
  • Food Banks
  • Transportation – County Van

Why can’t you recommend a specific provider?

State and federal regulations prohibit case managers from recommending providers. All individuals have the right to choose.

What caretaker resources can you provide?

Your case manager can provide a list of private pay agencies to call for help in the home. In addition, the Office of Aging (814.355.6716) can provide additional resources.

What are personal care homes?

A personal care home provides communal living, often with planned activities, housekeeping, laundry, transportation, meals, exercise, wellness programs, and the opportunity to socialize with other residents. Personal care homes can also provide assistance with activities of daily living, like bathing, toileting, eating, dressing, grooming, administering medication, and taking care of other hygienic needs. Some facilities have special sections for residents who develop Alzheimer’s or dementia. This type of care is not typically covered by insurance.

What are home health nurses? What is skilled care?

Home Health provides care for you at home, such as caring for a wound or giving you medication through an intravenous (IV) catheter. Your case manager will arrange for these services with a home care agency that your insurance company prefers. The home care agency will then work with your insurance company to decide the number of visits you will need. Your visit schedule will be changed as your care needs change. You may have to pay for some services yourself.

Skilled Nursing Facilities provide specific services, such as wound care, giving medications through an IV, or PT. To be admitted into one of these facilities, your doctor must feel that your condition can improve. Services are often provided in a skilled nursing facility.

In a Skilled Nursing Facility patients are under 24-hour care by licensed or registered nursing staff or by certified nursing assistants. Some reasons seniors might need skilled nursing care include bedridden status, chronic wounds requiring daily care, colostomy care, physical and occupational therapy, and special medical treatments. This type of care may be covered by insurance if the resident has an acute skilled medical need.

Can you help me find a therapist or support group?

To find a therapist if you have health insurance, it is best to check with provider services (by calling the number on the back of your insurance card) to get a list of participating providers. If you have no insurance or are looking for a specific type of support group, you can call the Centre County “. CCR (Center for Community Resources) 800.643.5432.

Can you help me find a job that accommodates my condition/disability?

The Case Manager can refer you to the Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, or OVR, provides vocational rehabilitation services to help people with disabilities prepare for, obtain, or maintain employment. OVR provides service to eligible individuals with disabilities, both directly and through a network of approved vendors.

The Altoona office serves Centre County and can be contacted at 814.946.7240 or by writing to:

Vocational Rehabilitation Services

1130 12th Avenue, Suite 500

Altoona, PA 16601

Do you help cancer patients?

Our department provides discharge planning assistance for cancer patients. The case managers assess needs (medically and psychosocially), develop treatment plans, discuss these plans with patients and families and then implement them. Patient advocacy, counseling and crisis intervention, referrals to community services and connection to patient and nurse navigators are all services provided by case managers. We will refer you to the Oncology Navigators for continued follow up post discharge to assist during your ongoing oncology care.

Can you help parents of special needs children?

Parents of special needs children can seek assistance from professionals at tertiary care centers, from community agencies that provide services to special needs children and from support groups for parents of special needs children. An infant evaluation program based in Centre County MH/MR is another resource for parents of special needs children.

How can a company be added to your list of providers?

For a company to be placed on our list of providers, a request must be made by the provider to our department with the necessary contact information. Some documentation of credentials may be requested. Send requests to Director of Case Management.